Thursday, September 5, 2013

CAN I do it vs do I WANT to do it

While doing an easy 6 miles over a somewhat hilly route (not crazy hilly, but several 150+ft elevation transitions), I started thinking about the “can I” and “do I want to” conundrum.  In other words, “can I” run this route over these hills, and assuming that the answer is yes, “do I want to”?

Yes, I can, and Yes, I want to. 

But then I took it to the next level such as running a marathon.  And the answer remains the same: yes, I want to, and yes, I can.  But I noted that I switched the order, wanting to do it, which then led me to being able to do it.  Which interestingly is in line with the concept of being goal oriented.  If you have a goal in mind, the chances of achieving that goal are pretty good. Of course it always helps if you include a plan on how to achieve that goal. But still, if you believe in it, then it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

And not to beat this to death, but obviously if there is something that I don’t want to do, then the likelihood of me being able to do it diminishes significantly, even if it is something that I “can” do. You get the drift.

Want to, can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment