Friday, September 20, 2013

Another 20 mile run for my log book

Pushed out another 20 mile run yesterday as part of my training plan for the Marine Corp Marathon (5 weeks to go).  My plan has been to put in at least three 20 milers, along with a couple of 18’ers, the intent being to build up and solidify my endurance.  So far I have all of my 18’ers in and two of my 20 milers – one to go.

I’ve had a long debate with myself about doing 20 mile runs (risk of injury) and asked about it on various runners forums. I asked if doing 16 miles followed by 5 the next day would yield the same benefit as doing a 20 mile run, and the prevailing thought was that doing the 20 (more or perhaps just a little bit less) was better from an endurance training perspective. The 16/5 routine appears to apply mostly to those training plans that involve A LOT of weekly miles and running 6 days per week. I’m running between 4 and 5 days per week and am limiting myself to no more than 45 miles per week – basically a nod to trying to not injure myself. As it is I’m fighting off some minor issues and I’m trying to not aggravate things.

Overall it was a great run – I ran it very conservatively, watching my fuel intake and hydration. I experimented with running with bananas, which I’ll expand on in a separate post. But I have to admit that at the end of my run I was really wondering if I had another 6 miles left in me… and to be brutally honest, yesterday I did not.

As it was, the trail that I ran on (Washington and Old Dominion Trail) intersects with roads from time to time, and although traffic is very considerate to runners and bikers that are crossing, I always come to a stop before crossing because I want to make sure that the cars/trucks are going to stop for me….  And sure enough, at mile 19.90 I had to cross a road  – I came to a stop, the driver waved me across, and it took all I had to get moving again. It required an incredible force of will to make myself start running again. For a moment I thought that the driver was going to get impatient with me and run me over.  Interestingly enough, prior to having to stop, I was grinding out that last mile kind of ok. I wasn’t a figure of elegance in motion, but I was running, perhaps somewhere between a 9:30-10:00 m/m pace. But once I stopped at that crossing, my body was not wanting to move again. But I did, and as soon as my mileage tracker said “20 miles” in my ear, I stopped in my tracks. I seriously did not think that I had another step left in me. And thus my concern.

All things being equal, I recovered pretty quick –I walked around a bit, got in my truck, went through a burger drive through for a couple of cheese burgers (yum), went home and took my dog for a mile walk, showered, a bit more food, and a nap. Then another mile and a half walk with the dog. My feet hurt from pounding the pavement and I’m a little stiff, but overall I feel pretty good.

But still, I have that nagging doubt now… can I finish the marathon?

I remember having the same thoughts two years ago for my first marathon, especially since I really struggled through my training. Two years ago I was not able to completely run a 20 mile distance; on my two attempts I had to walk at least 2 miles each time. On top of that I was struggling with cramping issues. Knock on wood, this year I have done substantially better on my long runs and have not experienced any cramping issues. I feel like I am in better shape, so why the doubts?

5 weeks to the MCM !!!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it, Bill. Your blog is a great encouragement to me...thanks!

    ReplyDelete