Saturday, March 9, 2013

it's like religious experience


It’s almost like what I would imagine a religious experience to be.  It is a sudden rush of release, of what I don’t know, followed by a flush of new endorphin's that make me feel like I could run forever, up any hill, through any wall.  I’ll share that I am sometimes moved to tears as I run – me a mid 50’s guy who thinks that he doesn't stink and is bullet proof (my injuries clearly prove that I’m not, and yes I do stink). 

It wells up on me at different moments, and at different levels of exertion, and it doesn’t happen on every run.  It is so unpredictable, but is something that I am constantly chasing and hoping that will happen.  And as it starts to happen I almost always say “here it comes….”

It’s the physical effort. 
It’s the mental tenacity to continue. 
And it is a great feeling  - so good.    It is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment