Wednesday, March 13, 2013

hillwork


I suddenly realized today that I have been using a very subtle trick when running a route with hills.  After running for a while, every hill I hit becomes harder and harder for me (hey – I’m not 20 anymore and I get tired…. not an excuse, it’s a fact).

I realized (today) that when I start running out of gas going up a hill, that I often tell myself to just get to the top and then I can walk a bit to recover.  But I never do that, I don't slow down to a walk when I get to the top – I get to the crest and then I keep running – no walking.

And today, after all this time, it suddenly occurred to me why: once I get to the top and I’m on a level or maybe even a downhill slope, the effort diminishes so much that I feel good enough to continue running. Crazy, huh?  The trick was simply telling myself to get-to-the-top and then reconsider my needs.  I don’t know if that makes me a better runner or not, but for me it makes a psychological difference, a mental victory, that I didn't slow down to walk while on the uphill part.  And in the end, it’s all about the small victories.

But maybe this little trick will help someone else…

No comments:

Post a Comment