Monday, July 10, 2017

Heat and Humid Running

Summer has arrived and is in full, and I do mean full, bloom.  It is hot, and in FL it is VERY humid. With Fall running events on the horizon, there is no option other than to train hard in the summer... and so we run.

Runner's World had some good articles in their August 2017 edition, all worth taking a read of.  But in the end, I feel that summer running is not complicated.  It requires some simple planing and a little thought. Done properly, I get my miles in and improve my conditioning.  From my perspective hot/humid weather running involves the following:
  •           Run during cooler parts of the day,
  •           Run shady routes (stay out of the direct sun as much as possible),
  •           Run slower,
  •           Run hydrated,
  •           Run connected (with a phone or with someone),
  •           Run aware of your body’s condition.
I took exception to a part of the Runner's World article regarding avoiding out and back routes; in other words, be able to bail on the run if things were to go south. At many levels I have to agree that this advice makes sense, but at it's core I disagree that runners should give ourselves a way out of a hard run. Say whaaaat???

We always have a way out of a run - we just stop the run.  We find shade, we walk instead of running, we sit down, we call for help and so on. "Bailing" should not be an option... as in "instead of doing the 10 miles that I need to run, I'm only going to do 3..."

I tend to prefer a point to point run (usually a big loop), but often do out and backs. The one advantage of an out and back is that once I get to the turn-around point, I won't be done until I get back to my starting point, and thus the impetus to keep running. This almost always works out, although I've had to bail a few times and either walk back or get a ride - it happens. But the point is that the goal is to accomplish a given distance; given the option to bail takes some of that impetus away.

So having said the above, if I'm going to run an out and back in hot and/or humid conditions, I need to plan accordingly, and yes, I do refer to my list.

Summer running is hard, but I do admit that doing it makes me a better Fall and Winter runner. I have no idea what it does to my body physically (actually I do, but not enough to talk about...), but what ever it is, it seems to be good. My biggest problem is that when I travel to the cooler north for an event, I have no idea what my pace is - and then I become pleasantly surprised! So it seems to be worth the effort!

Run cool... Summer is here...


No comments:

Post a Comment