Monday, December 30, 2013

Training hard and low (or long) and slow

I've always felt that if you train hard you get tougher, build endurance, and ideally get faster. But training hard has its drawbacks, particularly as I get older. That and the fact that it requires dedicated time, something that I don't always have (who does? except for those professional athletes of course...). And training hard also flies in the face of the long slow run, which also has its merits. And I struggle with it so.

More often than not, I want to go out there and run hard and literally beat myself up to the point of exhaustion, but I know that that can be unproductive. Whenever I do that, it feels good at the time, and then I'm in pain (recovering) afterwards - and I know that I'm not alone in this. I wind up stiff and crickety and my joints might hurt and I'll feel like I've been in a wreck - but it felt so good at the time...

Conversely, when I force myself, and I do mean force, to run low and slow - like a 10 minute per mile pace - I know that this is actually better for me, although I don't always feel like it is. I know that it is aerobic, that I'm burning more fat cells, and it's way easier on my joints and muscles. And when I'm done with my run it is a good, relaxed, tired feeling.

So obviously the trick is to mix it up - run hard (but not so hard that I am having to spend a day (or days) recovering, but also run low and slow. I know that the the "hard" run will help me build speed and a level of endurance, and the "low and slow" run will help me build endurance and aerobic health. My challenge is that I want to run "hard" every run and it is only during the run that I decide if it will be a "hard" run or a "low and slow" run. It ain't right, but it is how it is - and usually I manage to mix things up enough that I'm able to maintain a reasonable level of fitness.

I could be better if I followed a dedicated training schedule, but c'mon.... seriously? I'm running for fun and because it feels good and it should be reasonably spontaneous. I'm never going to win a race and I'm not likely to even place - I'm just running for me. Although it would be fun to win!

Next event: Clearwater HM, Jan 19, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment