Saturday, October 26, 2013

One and a wake up - MCM

It's down to today and a wake up, assuming that I can get to sleep. 3AM wake up call so that I can start going through my pre-run process and out the door by 4:40. I wish that I was one of those that could just wake up and run - that would be nice.

I got my bib yesterday in anticipation that the crowds today would be nuts. As it was, there were ton's of people and long lines (I hate lines) and naturally I got into the wrong one first. I did suffer myself through an extra line just so that I could get access to the Books VIP toilets - but I suspect that it will be worth it given the press of people in the starting area needing to take a pre-start wizz.

To help loosen myself up a bit I did 2 miles this morning, all the while wishing that I was doing more. In a weird way I feel like a penned up pony (if only I could run like one!).

As I've trained for the MCM I've become acutely aware how easily it would be for running, something that I've pretty much taken for granted, to be taken away from me. A little twist, a small mistep, a minor misjudgement, and suddenly I could be hobbling and unable to run for several days or more. So as a consequence, I savor the opportunity to run this event tomorrow and I hope to do it proud. I hope that I can run up that last hill with strength and dignity. I hope.

Tomorrow's sunrise is at 7:30, starting gun at 7:55, and I should cross the starting grid by 8:10. I can't wait. A little more than 17 hours to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment