Sunday, September 18, 2011

Last long run before the marathon

Three weeks to go to the Chicago Marathon and today was my last “long” run before the marathon.   Today’s run was 22 miles, which I did with a group from one of the running stores, Tortoise and Hare.  This was a pretty important run for me today – I had to be able to do it.  I had struggled through my last 20 mile run and had DNF’ed in the Milford 30K.  I had to be able to make today work - and I did.

Overall, it was a good run, averaging a 10:10 min/mile pace (3hr 43min overall) including a couple of rest breaks.  The temp at the start was in the low 50’s with a cloudless sky.  It was perfect weather.  The route was to be two 11 mile loops with most of it on dirt county roads with some modest hills. I felt very strong for the first 11 miles (the first loop), but started to feel tiredness in my legs almost as soon as we started the second loop.   I tried hard to keep on top of my nutrition (ShockBloks, Goo, Gatorade, and Endurolites), but I think I slipped on my intended schedule a bit.  

At about the midpoint of mile 17 I decided to walk a bit and let my running partner, a guy who had been running with me since the start, go on ahead.  After about a quarter mile of walking I was ready to hit it again, and worked towards catching up with my partner, who was pretty much just shuffling his way down the road.  Unfortunately, I was probably pushing too hard as I worked my way up and down the modest hills and wound up aggravating my right hamstring (which has been a pain in my ass for some time) bringing me to a full stop while I massaged and stretched it out.  I was pretty much forced to walk for a bit (probably a good ¾ of a mile) before starting to run again.

I’m not sure what the deal was/is with my hamstring.  I don’t know if it is a muscle pull situation, or if I was cramping (as in a heat cramp).  As soon as it started to hit hard, I gulped down another Goo, another Endurolite, and lots of Gatorade (good thing that I had my camel-back with me!).  I don’t know if that made a difference or not, but I did start to feel relief not long afterwards, so who knows….?

Getting going again was hard.  My legs were getting stiff and I really had to force myself to run.  I didn’t break any records running those last few miles – I pretty much short-stepped trotted my way back to our starting point, even walking up a couple of the hills. But I did it.  I was soooo glad to be done.

So, assuming that my 10:10 min/mile pace is realistic for Chicago, I’m probably looking at a 4hr30min time.   And I’ll be running for 45 minutes longer than I did today.  Do I have  (will I have) the juice to run that much longer?  I’m assuming that I will – I just can’t imagine not…

Three weeks to go!  Next week my longest run will be 12-13 miles, and the week after that,  a mere 8. That is going to feel so weird…  I’m already starting to think about what am I going to do after Chicago…

No comments:

Post a Comment